- Originally published on the Bartitsu.org site on Sunday, 8th June 2014
A collection of Suffragette bodyguard weapons and tools confiscated by police following the infamous “Battle of Glasgow” brawl, which took place at St. Andrew’s Hall on the evening of March 9th, 1914.
This picture was originally published in the Daily Record and now forms part of a display at the Glasgow People’s Palace museum.
The collection includes include six Indian clubs and five police truncheons (also commonly carried by private citizens for self defence purposes) along with several specialised items:
* top row, third from left: a set of wirecutters
* top row, fifth from left: a “life-preserver” or semi-flexible, weighted bludgeon
* bottom row, third from left: a section of barbed wire, probably part of the barricade that was concealed around the edge of the St. Andrew’s Hall stage; a pistol, probably that which was loaded with blanks and fired to intimidate the police by Scottish suffragette Janie Allen.